Three Ontario-based businesses have pleaded guilty to employing over 700 foreign nationals without authorization, resulting in substantial fines after a federal investigation into illegal labour practices.
The Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) confirmed the penalties in a statement on Friday, emphasizing a crackdown on unauthorized employment that spanned across Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area, CTV News reported.
CDA Landscape Services, based in Ajax, Ont., was fined $400,000 after admitting to 20 counts of hiring foreign workers without proper authorization. Meanwhile, TDA Landscape Services and SDA Services each pleaded guilty to two counts and were each fined $25,000.
The investigation, which began in 2019 after an impaired driving arrest made by Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), revealed a “network of unauthorized workers” across multiple businesses. The CBSA noted that more than 700 foreign nationals were identified working illegally across Ontario, with some subsequently removed from the country due to criminal inadmissibility.
“The charges and the sentencing reflect a thorough investigation and our commitment to maintaining the integrity of Canada’s immigration system,” said Aaron McCrorie, Vice President of CBSA’s Intelligence and Enforcement Branch. "Our officers and investigators work closely with law enforcement partners to ensure accountability for those who break the law."
Since last year, the CBSA has removed 16,470 foreign nationals for immigration violations, emphasizing the agency's ongoing efforts to secure Canada's borders and enforce immigration regulations.
The Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) confirmed the penalties in a statement on Friday, emphasizing a crackdown on unauthorized employment that spanned across Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area, CTV News reported.
CDA Landscape Services, based in Ajax, Ont., was fined $400,000 after admitting to 20 counts of hiring foreign workers without proper authorization. Meanwhile, TDA Landscape Services and SDA Services each pleaded guilty to two counts and were each fined $25,000.
The investigation, which began in 2019 after an impaired driving arrest made by Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), revealed a “network of unauthorized workers” across multiple businesses. The CBSA noted that more than 700 foreign nationals were identified working illegally across Ontario, with some subsequently removed from the country due to criminal inadmissibility.
“The charges and the sentencing reflect a thorough investigation and our commitment to maintaining the integrity of Canada’s immigration system,” said Aaron McCrorie, Vice President of CBSA’s Intelligence and Enforcement Branch. "Our officers and investigators work closely with law enforcement partners to ensure accountability for those who break the law."
Since last year, the CBSA has removed 16,470 foreign nationals for immigration violations, emphasizing the agency's ongoing efforts to secure Canada's borders and enforce immigration regulations.
You may also like
Watch: Pope Francis makes surprise appearance in Vatican square
'At least put your signature in Tamil': PM Modi takes shot at DMK govt over language row
'I won huge payout in work accident that saw both arms amputated – now I've lost it all'
None of the letters I receive are signed in Tamil: PM Modi
Horses that died in yesterday's Grand National as dark side of races exposed